"Next Steps for Struggling Readers: Guided Reading and Beyond (K-3)"
Tue., March 7, 2017
Lindner Campus Commons
8:00am Coffee and tea with pastries
8:30am Seminar Begins
10:15am - 10:30am Break
12:00pm - 12:45pm Lunch Provided
2:15pm - 2:30pm Dessert Break
3:30pm Seminar Ends
Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 8 a.m.
Lindner Campus Commons - Judson University
Jan Richardson on the Day:
"Do you have struggling readers? I can show you how to find out what is holding them back. We will use assessments to develop an acceleration plan that includes reading, writing, word study, and suggestions for collaborating between the interventionist and the classroom teacher. You will leave this session with hope and research-based techniques for helping all readers, especially those who struggle."
Attend this event and earn 6 PD Hours!
About Jan Richardson
Jan Richardson, Ph.D., a leading expert in guided reading, is a former K-12 teacher, reading specialist, Reading Recovery teacher leader, and staff developer. She currently is an educational consultant, providing presentations and classroom demonstrations across the U.S. and Canada. Dr. Richardson’s best-selling Next Step collection includes The Next Step Forward in Guided Reading; Literacy Footprints: A Complete System for Supporting Guided Reading; The Guided Reading Teacher’s Companion: Prompts, Discussion Starters, and Teaching Points; Next Step Guided Reading in Action video suite; and Next Step Guided Reading Assessment.
Learn more about Jan.
The Next Step Forward in Guided Reading
"In this resource-rich book, you’ll find:
- All the planning and instructional tools you need to teach guided reading well, from pre-A to fluent, organized around Richardson’s proven Assess-Decide-Guide framework.
- Prompts, discussion starters, teaching points, word lists, intervention suggestions, and more to support all students, including dual language learners and struggling readers.
- 29 comprehension modules that cover essential strategies—monitoring, retelling, inferring, summarizing, and many others.
- Plus an online resource bank with dozens of downloadable assessment and record-keeping forms, Richardson’s all-new, stage-specific lesson plan templates.
- More than 40 short videos showing Jan modeling key parts of guided reading lessons for every stage."
The Guided Reading Teachers Companion
"In this convenient flip-chart guide, you can easily find prompts, discussion starters, and teaching points to use when you want students to process more effectively, think more deeply, and express their ideas more thoughtfully. The self-standing guide with sturdy pages makes it convenient to use while working with small groups. Instantly, you can use these tools as starting points for in-depth inquiry based on behaviors you’re noticing in students. There are also recommendations on how to revise them as necessary to meet every reader’s needs."