Mission Statement & Educational Goals
Judson is an evangelical Christian university that represents the Church at work in higher education, equipping students to be fully developed, responsible persons who glorify God by the quality of their personal relationships, their work, and their citizenship within the community, the nation and the world. Through a broadly based education in the liberal arts, sciences and professions, the college enables its students to acquire ideas and concepts that sharpen their insights, develop skills appropriate to their career goals, and develop the skills and commitment for lifelong learning. The Judson community experience challenges graduates to be decisive leaders and active participants in church and society, articulate proponents of Biblical Christianity, persuasive advocates for the sovereignty of God over all life, and effective ambassadors for Christ.
Judson graduates will embrace a Christian worldview derived from critical and disciplined interaction with God's Word and God's world. This ultimate goal will be achieved as students attain the following intermediate goals:
- Embrace Christian ethics for lifelong growth and behavior, model personal commitment to Christ and the church, and articulate that faith.
- Practice wellness from a Christian stewardship perspective and make responsible lifestyle choices that lead to optimal health and vitality.
- Appreciate the development, values and limitations of their own and other cultures through personal integration and communication.
- Engage the complexity of human personality and behavior, developing balanced and critical self-awareness, and demonstrating sensitivity in interpersonal relationships.
- Develop widening aesthetic appreciation, discernment and expression, including an understanding of the creative process.
- Acquire critical and creative thinking abilities, read and listen perceptively, and write and speak effectively and responsibly.
- Develop analytical, research, and problem-solving skills using appropriate mathematics, logic, technology, and scientific methods.
- Embrace the Christian life, as ethical and redemptive servants, leaders, and stewards.
- Acquire competencies in a major field and skills for lifelong learning.
- Judson will be a Christ-centered community that cares.
- The total Judson community will minister to the whole student, addressing academic, spiritual, physical, emotional, and social needs in a multicultural and multinational environment.
- Judson will deliver Christ-honoring professional service in all operations to all stakeholders.
- Judson faculty and staff will be spiritually maturing Christians who minister through learning, facilitating, mentoring and advising.
- Learner-centered education in the liberal arts and sciences will undergird all programs.
- Judson will be financially healthy.
- The college will embrace growth in student populations and programs through ongoing strategic planning and assessment.
Like any educational institution, Judson University includes students of varying degrees of preparedness, motivation and discipline. This being the case, there will be a variety of student outcomes. Indeed, no college or university can guarantee equality of outcome, but it can do everything in its power to ensure equality of opportunity. Our goal is to provide the finest Christian liberal arts education possible. However, it is up to the individual student to show initiative and take ultimate responsibility for his or her education. Consequently, this catalog represents a snapshot of where we are in our community-wide quest for excellence, rather than an unconditional contract.
A Conservative, Evangelical Christian Institution
Judson University is and has been a conservative, evangelical Christian university that represents the Church at work in higher education, equipping students to be fully developed, responsible persons who glorify God by the quality of their personal relationships, their work, and their citizenship within the community, the nation and the world. In addition, and as stated in the “1968 Statement of Purpose” and reflected in other documents, the academic experience at Judson is founded within the context of the liberal arts tradition.
Judson’s faith identity is defined by three foundational principles. First, and as mentioned above, Judson is a conservative, evangelical, Christian university, reflecting the commitment to share God’s love through Jesus Christ throughout the world. Second, Judson is a Baptist institution of higher education, and its historical faith perspective shapes its academic and co-curricular programs. Third, the evangelical Baptist commitment provides a learning environment that is predominantly, but not exclusively, Christian.
There are ten qualities that clearly reflect how Judson University Trustees, administrators, faculty, staff, students and alumni are to live out the three foundational principles of the University’s faith identity. To learn more about these ten qualities, read Judson's Faith Identity Statement.