Masters of Education in Literacy Admission
The Master of Education in Literacy program at Judson University offers the prospective graduate student the opportunity to examine and enhance his/her knowledge base and instructional repertoire with regard to effective research-based literacy practices that are grounded in time-tested, best practice methodology. The program does not offer additional certification; rather, it is designed for the practicing classroom teacher who is motivated to become a more accomplished teacher of reading and writing. Applicants to the program who are not classroom teachers must have access to a classroom and the same group of students five days a week in order to become a degree candidate in this program. One full year of teaching experience is required prior to beginning course work.
Admission to the program is open to the most qualified applicants. A prospective student is reviewed on the basis of the profile material submitted with the application and may then be invited to interview with the Program Director and to provide an impromptu writing sample. Admission is offered to the student whose overall profile, interview, and writing sample most closely reflect the ability to succeed in and the ability to contribute to this graduate degree program.
Judson University does not discriminate against any applicant due to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, or disability.
Notice of Decision
Decisions regarding admission are determined by the Director of the Master of Education in Literacy Program, the Admissions Committee of the Master of Education in Literacy Program’s Advisory Council, the University Graduate Council, and the Senior Dean of Graduate, Adult, and Continuing Education, according to the criteria below.
Applicants will be notified by mail regarding their application status once the application and all ancillary materials are submitted and have been reviewed. Questions regarding application status may be directed to the administrative assistant for Graduate Programs in Education by calling 847/628-1105. Note: Application packets that are not complete will not be reviewed.
Required ancillary materials to be submitted in the Application Packet:
- Application form—completed, signed, and dated.
- Application fee of $40.00. Make check payable to Judson University.
- Copy of official teaching certificate.
- Official signed and sealed transcript(s) of all college work. A grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale is preferred.
- Two letters of reference. One letter should be provided by someone who can speak to your professional experience as an educator. The second letter should address your character and should be provided by someone other than a family member. Each letter should be in a sealed envelope with the writer’s signature crossing the seal.
- Typewritten double-spaced essay (not to exceed 500 words) describing an area of literacy instruction (reading, writing, or literature) in which you would like to grow professionally and discussing why you feel growth is needed in this area.
The whole of the above will be considered regardless of any particular strengths or weaknesses within a single component.
Learn more about the Master of Education in Literacy Program >