Judson University Christian College

Me, a Campus Security Authority?

Who Are Campus Security Authorities?

By federal law (the Clery Act) you are a campus security authority (CSA) if you meet any of the following criteria:
- A member of a campus police department or security department of an institution.

- Any individual or individuals who have responsibility for campus security but who do not constitute a campus police department or a campus security department (e.g., an individual such as a receptionist who is responsible for monitoring the entrance into institutional property).

- Any individual or organization specified in an institution’s statement of campus security policy as an individual or organization to which students and employees should report criminal offenses.

- An official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including, but not limited to: student housing, student discipline and campus judicial proceedings. An official is defined as any person who has the authority and the duty to take action or respond to particular issues on behalf of the institution.

Who Are Not Campus Security Authorities?

- Physicians/nurses in a campus health center or a counselor in a counseling center whose only responsibility is to provide care to students. Additionally, pastoral and professional counselors are exempt from reporting requirements so long as their only role on campus is counseling.

What do Campus Security Authorities do?

-CSAs assist with the process of reporting crimes in order to maintain accurate and timely crime statistics and increase the overall safety of the campus.

-If a crime is reported to a CSA, the CSA shall complete a Crime Stat Report Form. This form allows the crime to be reported without necessarily revealing the identity of the victim should the victim not wish to be identified.

What do the Responsibilities of Campus Security Authorities Not Include?

-CSAs are not intended or authorized to investigate reported crimes beyond gathering basic information from the individual reporting the crime, unless further investigation of the crime is within the scope of CSA’s regular job description.

So How Do I Do This?

-If a CSA is informed of a crime, they should encourage the person reporting the crime to contact the Department of Campus Safety or the Elgin Police Department to report the crime. The CSA should be ready to provide assistance contacting Campus Safety (extension 9999) or the Elgin Police Department (911). If the person reporting the crime does not wish to contact the Department of Campus Safety or the Elgin Police Department, then the CSA should complete the Crime Stat Report Form.

-The form is designed to allow Judson University to provide an accurate picture of crime to current and prospective students.
The completion of a Crime Stat Report Form will not result in a criminal or disciplinary investigation.

-Any personal information disclosed in a Crime Stat Report Form is used only to ensure that crimes are not reported multiple times.
Following the completion of a Crime Stat Report Form, the CSA should advise the individual reporting the crime that they may still notify the Department of Campus Safety or Elgin Police Department if they change their mind.

-Completed Crime Stat Report Forms should be delivered only to the Department of Campus Safety. Information disclosed on Crime Stat Report Forms is confidential, and subject to FERPA restrictions. Call the Department of Campus Safety (extension 9999) and an officer will meet you to collect the form.

-When in doubt, fill it out. Remember, it is not your job to investigate the alleged crime or determine whether or not a crime actually took place. Simply complete the form. The Clery Compliance Officer and other experts will analyze information and make determinations regarding the facts contained within the form.

-Crime Stat Report Forms are available online.

Additionally, paper copies are provided to all CSAs upon request of the Department of Campus Safety.
CSAs are advised to be prepared and have copies of the Crime Stat Report Form on hand.

If you have any questions regarding your role as a CSA, contact the Clery Compliance Coordinator, Nick Salzmann, at nsalzmann@judsonu.edu

Judson University, Shaping Lives that Shape the World