Judson University, a Four Year Christian College in Elgin near Chicago. The Church at Work in Higher Education.

  • Students With Disabilities

    Under the American Disabilities Act, (ADA-Amendments Act, Title III) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (1973) all student seeking special educational accommodations must provide current notice of the restricting condition to the university. All Clinician reports must be performed while you are an adult age (over the age of 18). The university may not accept Individual Education Plans (IEP's) from High School as current valid documentation under the ADA guidelines since students are identified as minors and children under the age of 18 while receiving IEP (K-12) services. Colleges and universities are only required to accommodate a student's disability if the relevant school personnel are aware that the student has a current disability and the student has publicly stated their disability. If you seek a reasonable educational accommodation at Judson University, we must request current proof of your disability.

    The most effective way to show that you qualify for reasonable ADA accommodations in the current school term is to:

    • Obtain a licensed clinician's summery letter outlining the disability, test results and any confirmed, possible limitations to learning, and reasonable academic accommodations in order to meet the needs of the post-secondary coursework. Under AA, reasonable accommodations or minor academic adjustments may include the following samples based on diagnostic test result.

      • Allowable recording devices for class lectures
      • Assigned note takers
      • Audio books
      • Extended time on tests (not to exceed time and 1/2)
      • Testing in a quiet testing room
      • Use of calculators (for Dyscalculia)
      • Sign Language Interpreters for academic coursework

    • The documentation must reflect your abilities and limitations at the academic Post-Secondary level at the time you request the accommodation.

    • Please note: The post-secondary school does not have to make changes or adjustments that fundamentally alter the academic prescribed coursework or graduation requirements under ADA.

    Service and Emotional Support Animals

    As outlined in the Non-Discrimination and Non-Harassment Policy, Judson University provides reasonable accommodations for qualified students with disabilities. The University allows individuals with Service Animals access to buildings on campus, including Campus Housing. The University will allow qualified students with disabilities to have an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) in Campus Housing on a case-by-case basis according to the policy outlined below.

    Service Animals

    Per Titles II and III of the Americans with Disabilities Act, Judson University allows a person with a disability to be accompanied by a service animal in all places where students and members of the public are permitted to go, except where animals are specifically prohibited due to a health or safety hazard. Service animals are defined as dogs (miniature horses where reasonable) that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting a person to sound and alerting/protecting a person who is having a seizure. The provision of emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship does not constitute work or tasks for the purposes of defining a service dog. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability.

    Emotional Support Animals (ESAs)

    Per the Fair Housing Act, Judson University provides reasonable accommodations for a student with a disability to have an emotional support animal in campus housing. An emotional support animal is an animal that is necessary to afford a person with a disability an equal opportunity to use and enjoy a dwelling when there is an identifiable relationship or nexus between the person’s disability and the assistance the animal provides. Emotional support animals include species other than dogs and miniature horses. Typically an ESA is prescribed to an individual with a disability by a healthcare or mental health professional and is an integral part of a person’s treatment process. ESAs are generally only allowed within a student’s residence in Campus Housing, though requests for the ESA to accompany the student to other campus locations will be considered on a case by case basis. Requests should be made to the ADAA Compliance Coordinator, located within the Student Success Center. There must be a link between the animal and a disability. Emotional distress resulting from having to give up an animal because of a “no pets” policy does not qualify a person for an accommodation under federal law.

    Any questions regarding accommodations at Judson University, please contact Gineen Vargas, Tutor and ADAA Compliance Coordinator at gineen.vargas@judsonu.edu.  Phone: 847-628-1156  Fax: 847-628-1007. Gineen's office is located in the Student Success Center - Lindner Tower 2nd floor.

Judson University, Shaping Lives that Shape the World