Faculty Profile: Cathy Headley
Title: Associate Professor and Chair of the Exercise Sport Science Department
Department: Exercise Sport Science
Office: Lindner Fitness Center
Year Started: 2002
Department of Recreation, Sport, and Tourism
University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois
Dissertation: Examination of N'Balance, a Community-Based Fall Prevention Intervention for Older Adults
||Health Services Administration
College of St. Francis, Joliet, Illinois
United States Sports Academy, Mobile, Alabama
||Recreational Administration, Concentration in Administration, Coaching
Lakeland College, Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Dr. Headley worked in mental health for fourteen years prior to becoming a full time professor for Judson University. Her passion and interests include working with students to fulfill their call from the Lord, and communicating the importance of health and wellness to all that she meets.
Interests, Expertise, and Involvements
Older adults, fall prevention programs, Health and Wellness of communities.
- Christian Society for Kinesiology and Leisure Studies (CSKLS)
- National Parks and Recreation Association (NPRA)
- Master Trainer, N'Balance Fall Prevention program, Consortium of Older Adult Wellness (COAW), Glenwood Springs, CO
- American Alliance of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD) Illinois Chapter (IAHPERD)
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor
- American Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor
- American Red Cross Preventing Disease Transmission Instructor
Articles submitted for refereed journals
Headley, C., Payne, L., Provenzano, S. (under review). N'Balance©, a community-based fall prevention intervention: lessons learned.
Manuscripts in progress
Headley, C., Payne, L., & Janke, M. (in preparation). The influence of a fall-prevention program on the leisure experience.
"The use of walking poles as a physical activity alternative for older adults"
- Headley, C. Session proposal approved "Sowing service learning seeds in the classroom and nurturing through professional presentations?" for the Society of Professional Recreation Educators (SPRE) Teaching Institute, Atlanta, Georgia, February 2011.
- Headley, C., Payne, L., Katzenmeyer, C. Session proposal approved "A Community-Based Fall Prevention Intervention That May Impact Fear of Falling and Leisure for Older Adults" for the Gerontological Society of America Scientific Annual conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, November 2010.
- 2004 - "Walking and Talking with the Bard" with Dr. Wandtke and Dr. McManus, at the October pedagogy conference at St. Francis
- 2004 - "3 E's of Health", Elgin Mental Health Center Mini Conference, Elgin, IL
- Who's Who of Americas Teachers 2002 to present
- Chancellors List 2006
"Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed." Proverbs 16:3, NLT
*The above listed websites do not necessarily reflect the views of Judson University.