Dr. Cathy Headley Profile
Ph.D. Leisure Behavior - Department of Recreation, Sport, and Tourism - University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois
- Dissertation: Examination of N’Balance, a Community-Based Fall Prevention Intervention for Older Adults
M.S. Health Services Administration - College of St. Francis, Joliet, Illinois
M.S.S. Fitness Management - United States Sports Academy, Mobile, Alabama
B.A., 1984 Recreational Administration, Concentration in Administration, Coaching - Lakeland College, Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Dr. Headley worked in mental health for fourteen years prior to becoming a full time professor for Judson College. Her passion and interests include working with students to fulfill their call from the Lord, and communicating the importance of health and wellness to all that she meets.
Expertise / Involvements
Older adults, fall prevention programs, Health and Wellness of communities.
Research and/ or Scholarly Publications
- Headley, C. (2012). The New Sport Management Reader: a Book Review. Sport Management Review, Vol 15, No1.
Articles submitted for refereed journals
- Headley, C., Payne, L., Keller, J.M., Provenzano, S. (in press). N’Balance©, a community-based fall prevention intervention: lessons learned. Activities, Adaptations, and Aging, December 2012.
- Headley, C., & Keller, J.M. (under review). Evidence Based Practice: Improving older adults’ balance and preventing falls.
Manuscripts in progress
- Headley, C., Payne, L., & Keller, J.M. (in preparation). Examination of N’Balance, a community-based fall prevention intervention.
- Headley, C., Payne, L., Keller, J.M. (in preparation). The influence of a fall-prevention program on the leisure experience.
Professional Societies or Affiliations
- Christian Society of Kinesiology and Leisure Studies (CSKLS)
- National Parks and Recreation Association (NRPA)
- Master Trainer, N’Balance Fall Prevention program, Consortium of Older Adult Wellness (COAW), Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
- American Alliance of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD) and IAHPERD (Illinois Chapter) Membership
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor
- American Red Cross First Aid/ CPR/ AED Instructor
- American Red Cross Preventing Disease Transmission Instructor
Project Title: “Follow-up study: The effect of N’Balance, a community-based fall prevention program for older adults on leisure and fear of falling.” In progress.
Headley, C., Payne, L., Katzenmeyer, C. (2011). Poster session "A Community-Based Fall Prevention Intervention that May Impact Fear of Falling and Leisure for Older Adults.” Gerontological Society of America Scientific Annual conference, Boston, Massachusetts, November 2011.
Headley, C. (2011). Session Presentation “Sowing service learning seeds in the classroom and nurturing through professional presentations?” Society of Professional Recreation Educators (SPRE) Teaching Institute, Atlanta, Georgia and Northern Illinois Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (NIAHPERD) Spring Workshop.
Headley, C., Payne, L., Katzenmeyer, C. (2010). Poster session “A Community-Based Fall Prevention Intervention That May Impact Fear Of Falling And Leisure For Older Adults” Gerontological Society of America Scientific Annual conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, November 2010.
Headley, C., (2012). “Trends in Aging.” Presentation at the Illinois Parks & Recreation Association’s Recreation Section Meeting, March, 2012.
Headley, C. (2011) “PHC Statewide Forum: Successes and Lessons Learned.” Panel Presenter, GreenTown: The Future of Community. Unity Temple, Oak Park, IL.
Grants and Scholarships
Headley, C. (2009). Activate Elgin, Senior Circuit. Judson University, $1000.
2012 Harriet Gifford & Hattie Griffin Award for Education nominee, Elgin YWCA Leader, Elgin, IL