Majors & Minors
- Church Music Performance
- Music Composition
- Music Instrumental
- Music Performance Piano
- Music Performance Voice
- Studio Piano/Voice Teaching
Music Business & Entrepreneurship
The Music Business & Entrepreneurship major at Judson prepares students for a career in one of several facets of the music business, including recording, marketing, artist promotion and management. In particular, the MB&E curriculum prepares students to start their own music business doing everything from creating a business plan to writing their own songs to recording and marketing them.
The Music Business & Entrepreneurship majors take courses in music, performance and business. Students complete arigorous senior project that integrates all of the skills and information that they have learned during their four years in the program.
Students receive practical training in Judson’s Dark Room Studios, a fully operational, on-campus studio overseen by Judson alumnus Ben Calhoun, lead singer for the popular Christian recording artists Citizen Way. Dark Room Studios has recorded tracks for Citizen Way’s debut album, Love Is the Evidence, and for Willow Creek worship leader (and Judson alumnus) Aaron Niequist’s A New Liturgy projects. The MIDI lab, with several keyboards and computers with musical-notation software, is also available for students to use.
Students will also have an opportunity to participate in the Best Semester Contemporary Music Program of the Council of Christian Colleges and Universities. Located in Nashville, Tennessee, this semester-long program offers intensive hands-on instruction and the opportunity to network with industry professionals.
More Information >>
The Music Performance major at Judson University provides students with both a skills-based curriculum and also ample performance opportunities for a 21st-century, real-world music education that prepares students well for a number of different possible vocations. Core classes lay a solid foundation, giving students the music theory, music history, orchestration, and other skills needed to succeed.
From there, Music Performance students are encouraged to add a specialized minor to increase their training in a particular area of music performance. Piano, Vocal, and Instrumental Specialization students delve more deeply into their instrument, exploring elements of improvisation, conducting, and pedagogy. Church Music Specialization students focus on applying their skills for work as church musicians. Composition Specialization students receive advanced training to help them write and record their own music. And Studio Piano/Voice Teaching Specialization students prepare for careers as private piano or voice instructors, adding business classes to the mix to better prepare themselves for the marketplace. Because of the flexibility inherent in the curriculum, Music Performance students can also choose to take a minor from any other discipline on campus that offers a minor.
All Music Performance students have the opportunity to serve in a performing ensemble as well.
- The University Choir is open to all students and sings a wide variety of choral literature, from classical sacred repertoire to black-gospel anthems to arrangements of praise and worship songs.
- The Chamber Singers is a 16-voice audition-based group that sings more difficult repertoire at events on campus and in surrounding neighborhoods.
- The Guitar Ensemble, open to all acoustic guitarists, plays a wide variety of guitar-ensemble literature, spanning the Renaissance to the modern era, and also ministers on campus and in the local community.
- The Percussion Ensemble explores a wide variety of musical expressions and is open to anyone, from expert drummers to those interested in learning more about percussion. The Percussion Ensemble ministers on campus and in the local community.
- Students with orchestra experience can audition for the Judson Civic Orchestra, a non-credit ensemble made up of Judson students and local community players, that performs concerts on campus twice a year and also provides music for the CWPA semi-annual concerts of worship.
More Information >>