Welcome to Judson University Communications Office. For story suggestions or to contact us send us an email.
Director of Marketing and Communications
Web Projects Specialist
Logos/Visual Identity Standards
Latest Revision Date: January 2013
Judson University has three logo implementations to accommodate the many uses and spaces that require a Judson University logo. The primary use of the logo is the version where the words Judson University are stacked on two lines beside the shield.
Secondary uses are dependent upon the end use of the marketing piece and the space available. A more classical or formal representation of the logo is when Judson University appears below the shield. Finally, when spacing needs require a longer version of the logo, the shield appears in between the words Judson and University.
All three versions utilize Pantone PMS Inks 655 blue and 8641 gold. Also, all three versions use the same typeface for the words Judson and University. The typefaces are Minion Pro for "Judson" and Myriad Pro for "University".
The Judson logo is one of the most important elements of the University's identity, and should appear on all published material, whether web- or print-based. (This includes flyers, ads, correspondence, and program-produced documents such as newsletters. Any paper document should have the Judson logo and name included.) Please review and avoid the mistakes commonly made.
- If a program or office has an individual "mark," it is to be used as a secondary mark in relation to the JU logo. These "marks" need to be considered for distinction but may not be used or referred to as a separate logo for the University.
Exception: The Judson Eagles logo is exempt from this. The Judson Eagles logo was created to demonstrate the excitement and momentum of the Athletics Program. Like most colleges and universities, the Athletics Department has a logo representing its mascot and is used in significant web, apparel and print promotions.
- If the logo is presented in multiple colors, it should use Judson’s official logo colors of PMS 655 blue and PMS 8641 gold. The one-color version of the logo can be designated in a different color to correspond with the end piece. Please use the one color version of the logo which may eliminate the shaded areas behind the logo
- Use of the shield alone is permitted. No text or graphical elements should cover the shield. It should be presented as 100 percent opacity. The text that appears along with the shield should list Judson University on first reference.
- The official typefaces used to create the logo are Adobe Garamond for JUDSON and Myriad Pro for UNIVERSITY. Please do not distort the type or reset it in any fashion other than how they appear in Judson’s three official logos.
- The University Seal is to be used to certify official documents or proceedings, such as diplomas and commencement, and is not considered a design element to be used in materials for any other area on campus. The seal should not be used on merchandise. Also, the seal is reserved for use by the president’s office as the final representative of Judson’s mission for all areas of the university.
- Any use of the Judson logo for apparel or special items must adhere to these guidelines.
- Use of Judson’s logo in a publication (printed or digital) that is not published officially by Judson University (i.e. book covers or promotions) must be approved by the Communications Office.
- Any website or blog area that represents the author or group of users as an official group of Judson University, should include the university or athletics logo. The logo should click through to JudsonU.edu or JudsonEagles.com. Prior to use, the website/blog must be reviewed and approved by the Communications Office or Judson Athletics Department for sports related media.
- Please direct any questions and clarifications to the Communications Department.
Please visit the download area to obtain the correct logo for your publication.
If you have any questions about logo use or Judson identity, e-mail newsandevents@JudsonU.edu or call the Communications Office at (847) 628-2089.
Logo Usage - Common Mistakes
- Changing the color: Use of colors other than those in the prepared logos and seal is prohibited, as is the turning of a color image into grayscale.
- Altering proportions: It is critical that the proportions of the shield and text remain constant. If you need to change the size of the logo, be sure to do it by clicking and dragging on one of the four corners of the artwork, not by the border only.
- Rotating or manipulating the shield: Reversing the logo (white lettering on a dark background) requires a specific logo -- it is NOT achieved by just applying white to the standard logo.
- Overprinting: No type or graphic elements should overprint the logo.
- Combining with other graphics: The logo should not be combined with other graphics to create another logo or mark.
- Using with Photos: The placement of the logo or shield should be in an area of the photograph where there are no distracting patterns or elements.
Visual Identity Standards for the Anniversary Logo (.pdf)
- The new Anniversary Seal can now be used electronically on all correspondence coming from Judson University faculty, staff and administration. Correspondence includes letters, printed post cards or literature, and all promotional items mentioning events on our campus. Guidelines are attached describing how to use the electronic seal. If you purchased stationery that incorporated the seal, please begin using it from now until May 2014 (or as long as supplies last). If you have any questions regarding how to use the graphic or the guidelines, after reading the attached, please contact the Communications and Marketing Office.
- One-inch printed stickers of the seal can be attached to existing literature. You should receive the seals by Friday, February 1. If you need additional stickers, please contact Mary Dulabaum in the Communications and Marketing Office.
- Faculty and Staff: To help us share our anniversary message further, please change your signature line per the example in the Visual Identity Standards .pdf above. Please adhere to this guideline so that Judson sends consistent messages to all individuals and organizations that connect with Judson faculty, staff and administration. Following the anniversary seal/Judson address graphic, please send just one short message if you must. Ideally, it would promote the next Preview Day for Judson’s adult or traditional program, whichever matches your area of service and learning. Or perhaps, this last message promotes an upcoming gallery exhibit, lecture series or concert that will be performed at Judson through your area, i.e.:Visit campus on Judson’s Next Preview Day January 20-21, 2013!
Judson University Descriptions and Messages
Shape Your Life to Shape the World: Your college years are a time to shape yourself and to be shaped – to become the person you’ve always known you could be – the person you were created to become. It begins with you, but it doesn’t end with you. At Judson University, we equip students to make a difference in a world that needs their creativity, passion and leadership.
History: Judson University is a fully accredited, private Christian university of the liberal arts, sciences and professions. The university began as part of Northern Baptist Seminary before moving to its Elgin campus in 1963 as Judson College.
Anniversary: In 2013, Judson University will celebrate its Golden Centennial. Beginning in April 2013, Judson will have been established in Elgin, Ill., for 50 years. The university first began as part of Northern Baptist Seminary, which was founded in 1913.
Location: Located in a beautiful pastoral setting, Judson’s 90-acre main campus is nestled along the Fox River in Elgin, Ill., a city of 100,000+. Tyler Creek runs through the middle of campus and a wilderness preserve is within walking distance of campus. Situated at the Northwestern edge of Chicago, the campus is only a 40-minute drive or train ride to Chicago. With its parks, architecture, professional sports teams, performing and visual arts, Chicago provides a panoply of entertainment and cultural options, as well as a whole world of internship and student-teaching opportunities.
Enrollment: Judson serves more than 1,100 traditional, adult and graduate students on its two campuses. Judson offers a Bachelor of Arts degree for more than 50 majors/minors, 10 pre-professional programs and three graduate programs in Architecture, Education in Literacy and Organizational Leadership.
Academic Environment: Judson’s faculty-to-student ratio is 9:1. Eighty percent of the classes at Judson have less than 20 students in them.
Internships: 90 percent of recent graduates participated in an internship, practicum or field experience.
Highly Qualified Faculty: Sixty-four percent of full-time tenure track faculty hold a doctorate and 79 percent of them hold the appropriate terminal degree. All courses are taught by appropriately credentialed faculty, not graduate teaching assistants.
Accreditation: In 2008, Judson University took part in a site visit that resulted in the Higher Learning Commission’s awarding full accreditation to the University for the next 10 years without any conditions. According to the Higher Learning Commission Site Team, the Judson community’s “faith and commitment to its mission may well be unprecedented in the experiences of members of the site visit team.” Judson also has passed visits from the National Architecture Accrediting Board and the Teacher Education Accreditation visit.
Sustainability: In 2007, the university opened a new Adult Education Facility in Rockford, Ill. Judson’s newest building, the Harm A. Weber Academic Center, employs innovative “green” technology and is the most energy efficient academic building in the United States. The center achieved a Gold LEEDS rating from the U.S. Green Building Council for its energy efficiencies and sustainability measures.
World Leaders Forum: Judson’s commitment to real-world leadership prompted us to establish the annual World Leaders Forum, which hosted 43rd U.S. President George W. Bush in 2011 and Nobel Laureate and Former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev in 2012. Judson students benefitted from these opportunities to hear from global leaders who have significantly shaped our world.
Global Opportunity: Judson offers more than 25 different options for spending a semester studying abroad, including such places as England, China, Japan, Russia, Egypt, Uganda, Germany, The Netherlands, Austria, Australia, Costa Rica and Spain. Moreover, nearly 6 percent of our traditional student body are international students.
Standings: Judson University was listed in the Top Tier of Baccalaureate schools in the Midwest in the U.S. News and World Report’s Best College’s Report and the 2012 Military Friendly Schools in Illinois.
Judson University is a fully accredited, private Christian university of the liberal arts, sciences and professions. Judson offers degrees in more than 50 different majors/minors for traditional, graduate, and adult students. Located in Elgin, Ill., Judson is a Top-Tier College in the Midwest, according to U.S. News and World Report. With an academically challenging environment and encouraging spiritual community, Judson shapes lives that will shape the world.
Judson University is a Christian Liberal Arts and Sciences university located in Elgin at Illinois 90 and State Road 31. Since 1963, Judson University has provided the Fox River Valley with a Christian, liberal arts and sciences education by offering four-year degrees in more than 50 majors and minors; graduate programs in architecture, literacy and organizational leadership; and on line and adult degree program. To learn how you can prepare for a successful career and experience Judson’s Christian community, visit JudsonU.edu.
Located in Elgin, Ill., Judson University offers a Christian, liberal arts and sciences education through its Bachelor of Arts degrees for _______Insert Program Area_________ as well as 50 other majors/minors, pre-professional programs, graduate programs and adult degree programs. To learn how you can prepare for a successful career and experience Judson’s Christian community, visit JudsonU.edu.
- Since 1963, Judson University has provided the Fox River Valley with a private, Christian education by offering Bachelor of Arts degrees for more than 50 majors/minors. Today the University also offers master degrees in Architecture, Education in Literacy and Organizational Leadership. To learn how you can prepare for a successful career and experience Judson’s Christian community, visit JudsonU.edu.
- Judson University’s was listed in the Top Tier of Baccalaureate schools in the Midwest by the U.S. News and World Report’s Best College’s Report. To learn how you can prepare for a successful career and experience Judson’s Christian community, visit JudsonU.edu.
- At Judson University, you’ll enjoy the fun and excitement of nearby Chicago while studying in a small, pastoral setting of Judson’s 90-acre campus on the Fox River in Elgin. A Judson University education is the ideal combination of challenging academics, spiritual discovery and social engagement. To learn how you can prepare for a successful career and experience Judson’s Christian community, visit JudsonU.edu.
- Judson University‘s liberal arts curriculum is grounded in Christianity and our class sizes are small. In addition, 79 percent of Judson faculty hold doctoral or the highest degrees in their field. Our entire staff of skilled professors will both challenge and support you as you dig deep to discover your God-given potential. To learn how you can prepare for a successful career in architecture and experience Judson’s Christian community, visit JudsonU.edu.
- You’ll feel right at home at Judson University. That’s because Judson is a vibrant Christian university that combines an intimate, small-school feel with opportunities usually found only at much larger institutions. Our culture of caring, family-style closeness is not only unique – it’s one of our greatest strengths. No matter what your style or scene, Judson’s wide variety of student opportunities will enable you to find your place in the world where you are most comfortable and can do the most good. To learn how you can prepare for a successful career and experience Judson’s Christian community, visit JudsonU.edu.
- Judson University’s offers the only professional architecture program delivered in an evangelical Christian context in the country. Judson’s architecture graduates will earn their bachelor and master degrees within six years. This renowned program is housed in Judson’s newest building, the Harm A. Weber Academic Center, which earned a Gold LEED® rating from the U.S. Green Building Council. To learn how you can prepare for a successful career in architecture and experience Judson’s Christian community, visit JudsonU.edu.