Exercise and Sport Science
Concentrations in Sport Administration or Health and Wellness
Sport Administration - is a cross-divisional concentration (sport, physical education, business administration and communication arts). Students who graduate with a sport administration degree are qualified to seek employment in a variety of sport-related opportunities such as: YMCA, camps, fitness centers, clubs, industrial recreational programs, sport facilities management, sport retailing and sports information directing both in the United States and globally.
Health and Wellness Major - Health and Wellness applies the theoretical background of the concepts of health as a “resource for everyday life, not the objective of living (WHO-FIC).” This concentration emphasizes the spiritual, social, physical, emotional, environmental, and intellectual aspects of wellness. Graduates will look forward to employment opportunities in community and public health, wellness programs, fitness centers, corporate wellness programs.
A major in Sport Administration and Health and Wellness provides knowledge and competence to:
- Identify and understand the internal and external factors that shape sport in a culture.
- Be able to apply the functions of planning, organizing, leading and evaluating the goals of a variety of sport organizations.
- Develop a personal moral philosophy and apply a personal code of ethics to a variety of situations.
- Understand and apply fundamental marketing concepts to the sport industry.
- Know how interpersonal and mass communication apply in the sport industry.
- Develop and organizational budget, use accounting procedures, and learn how different principles of fund-raising are used.
- Understand leadership aspects and opportunities in the sport industry.
- Be able to identify and apply various areas of law to the sport industry.
- Become familiar with the various agencies that govern sport at the professional, collegiate, high school and amateur levels.
- 40% of major requirements must be completed at Judson.
- 40% of major requirements must be upper division.
- A grade of C or better is required on all major and concentration courses.
- 24 hours required for upper division
- Required GPA = 2.5
- Required Residential GPA = 2.5
- Total hours = 55 + concentration
- Required 32 resident hours
Gen Eds required by major (non-degreed students)
- BIO272 Principles of Human Anatomy/Physiology w/Lab
- and ESS101 Wellness (must be taken as the general education science and ESS requirement)
Exercise and Sport Science Core Requirements
Required = 56 Hours
- BIO272 Prin Human Anatomy/Physiology w/Lab (counts toward gen eds)
- BUS101 Introduction to Business
- BUS102 Accounting Fundamentals
- ESS101 Wellness (Counts toward gen eds)
- ESS140 Outdoor Recreation
- ESS195 Exercise/Sport Science Practicum
- ESS210 Life Guarding
- ESS242 Foundations of Health, PE, Recreation & Sport
- ESS251 Motor Development and Learning
- ESS252 Theory/Techniques of Team Sports
- ESS253 Theory and Tech of Individual Sports
- ESS350 Organization and Admin of Sport
- ESS351 Sport Finance and Fundraising
- ESS352 Sport Marketing
- ESS378 Sport Psychology
- ESS447 Adapted Physical Education
- ESS467 Physiology of Exercise
- ESS475 Sport Law and Ethics
- ESS480 Senior Sports Management Seminar
- ESS495 Sports Management Internship (12 hours)
CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CONCENTRATIONS:
Sport Administration Concentration
Required =20 hours
- BUS222 Comp Applications/Bus: Adv Microsoft Office
- BUS347X Business Communication (may be reused in gen eds)
- BUS443X Public Relations
- ESS255 Principles of Coaching
- ELECTIVES 9 hours from BUS/MIS/COM*
*For this major, BUS411, Project Management or BUS/PSY326, Human Resource Management, are recommended (BUS250 must be taken before BUS/PSY326)
Health and Wellness Concentration
Required = 21 hours
- BIO370 Kinesiology
- ESS148 Rhythmic Activities
- ESS245 Community Health
- ESS372 Health Nutrition
- ESS375X Health Aspects/Chemical Dependency
- ESS450 Physical Activity Assessment and Measurement
- ESS460 Health Education and Promotion
- ESS*** Choose three hours of ESS electives