Exercise and Sport Science
Concentrations in Sport Administration or Health and Wellness
Sport Administration - is a cross-divisional concentration (sport, physical education, business administration and communication arts). Students who graduate with a sport administration degree are qualified to seek employment in a variety of sport-related opportunities such as: YMCA, camps, fitness centers, clubs, industrial recreational programs, sport facilities management, sport retailing and sports information directing both in the United States and globally.
Health and Wellness Major - Health and Wellness applies the theoretical background of the concepts of health as a “resource for everyday life, not the objective of living (WHO-FIC).” This concentration emphasizes the spiritual, social, physical, emotional, environmental, and intellectual aspects of wellness. Graduates will look forward to employment opportunities in community and public health, wellness programs, fitness centers, corporate wellness programs.
A major in Sport Administration and Health and Wellness provides knowledge and competence to:
- Identify and understand the internal and external factors that shape sport in a culture.
- Be able to apply the functions of planning, organizing, leading and evaluating the goals of a variety of sport organizations.
- Develop a personal moral philosophy and apply a personal code of ethics to a variety of situations.
- Understand and apply fundamental marketing concepts to the sport industry.
- Know how interpersonal and mass communication apply in the sport industry.
- Develop and organizational budget, use accounting procedures, and learn how different principles of fund-raising are used.
- Understand leadership aspects and opportunities in the sport industry.
- Be able to identify and apply various areas of law to the sport industry.
- Become familiar with the various agencies that govern sport at the professional, collegiate, high school and amateur levels.
- 40% of major requirements must be completed at Judson.
- 40% of major requirements must be upper division.
- Minimum of a 2.5 GPA required.
Exercise and Sport Science Core Requirements
Required = 57 hours
- BUS101 Introduction to Business
- BUS102 Accounting Fundamentals
- ESS101 Wellness
- ESS210 Life Guarding
- ESS140 Outdoor Recreation
- ESS195 Exercise/Sport Management Practicum (At least two hours)
- ESS252 Theory/Techniques of Team Sports
- ESS253 Theory and Tech of Individual Sports
- ESS255 Principles of Coaching
- ESS350 Organization and Admin of Sport
- ESS351 Sport Fitness and Fundraising
- ESS353 Basic Athletic Train/First Aid
- ESS378 Sport Psychology
- ESS447 Adaptive Physical Education
- ESS467 Physiology of Exercise
- ESS475 Sport Law and Ethics
- ESS480 Senior Sports Management Seminar
- ESS495 Sports Management Internship (12 hours)
- BIO272 Prin Human Anatomy/Physiology w/Lab
Sport Administration Concentration
Required =25 hours
- ESS240 Foundations of Sport Management
- ESS352 Sports Marketing
- BUS222X Comp Applications/Bus: Adv Microsoft Office
- BUS250 Management Principles
- BUS301 Leadership and Change
- BUS347X Business Communication (may double count w/gen ed)
- BUS443X Public Relations
- BUS Business elective
Health and Wellness Concentration
Required = 25 hours
- BIO370 Kinesiology
- ESS235 Foundations of Health and Wellness
- ESS245 Community Health
- ESS370 Chronic Disease Management
- ESS372 Health Nutrition
- ESS375X Health Aspects/Chemical Dependency
- ESS450 Fitness Testing and Prescription
- ESS460 Health Education and Promotion
- 2 Hours of ESS Electives