Students with Disabilities - Doctor of Education in Literacy Catalog | Judson University Christian College

Students With Disabilities

Judson provides academic support services to students with disabilities including those with learning, mobility, sensory, health, or psychological impairments. These services include liaison with faculty members, promotion of self-advocacy skills, and securing appropriate classroom accommodations. Study skills counseling and some tutoring are also available. Students with disabilities are encouraged to contact the Director of Academic Support Services during the application process to discuss required documentation and appropriate accommodations.

Once admitted to Judson, it is the student’s responsibility to notify the University of any and all Disabilities for which they will seek accommodations. Prior to the first day of classes, the student must provide appropriate documentation of their diagnosed disability from a qualified professional. This documentation cannot be more than two years old. A “qualified professional” is someone who has been educated at the graduate level to understand the disability being diagnosed and is also qualified to perform and interpret tests used in reaching such a diagnosis.

While the field is constantly changing, these are the tests that are currently recommended for diagnosing a learning disability: the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale-III (the most current revision); an individually administered achievement test (the most common are the Woodcock-Johnson-III Tests of Achievement and the Wechsler Individual Achievement Test-II). An IQ and an achievement test are the bare minimum to diagnose a learning disability. Professionals in the field of Learning Disabilities also like the Wechsler Memory Scales-III because it helps us to understand how the student retains information.

Based on the results of these tests, we would also expect the doctor to make recommendations on specific reasonable accommodations, if any, that might help to address any diagnosed learning disabilities. Also, documentation from either a high school and/or college that states the accommodations that the student received while enrolled in a previous educational setting would be helpful in assessing the needs of the prospective student. We would then review the test results, services received in other educational settings and the doctor’s recommendations to determine whether accommodations are in order. Our goal is to create a level playing field, but students must still be able to perform the essential requirements of the college or program, with or without a “reasonable accommodation".

All documentation should be directed to Gineen Vargas, Tutor and ADAA Compliance Coordinator.  Gineen's office is located in the Student Success Center on the 2nd floor of the Lindner Tower and her telephone number is (847) 628-1156. Students needing facility adjustments must also contact Plant Operation at (847) 628-2480, as early as possible in the admission’s process.

Judson University, Shaping Lives that Shape the World