Undergraduate Catalog - Academic Policy - Grading Policy | Judson University Christian College

Grading Policy

Judson's Grading System

GradeInterpretationGrade Point
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
DLow Passing1.00
D- 0.67
WPWithdrawal Passing* 
WFWithdrawal Failing0.00
NCNo Credit* 
NRGrade Not Received* 
IPClass In Progress* 
AWFAdministrative Withdrawal, Failing0.00
CEUContinuing Education Units* 

*Not calculated in the grade point average.

Transcript Columns Interpretation

Earn – total semester hours earned that apply toward graduation requirements.

Pass – total hours passed including hours that apply toward graduation requirements along with courses passed that are not applicable to degree requirements.

Quality – total Judson hours passed and/or attempted that receive grade points (includes F, WF, and AWF).

Points – total number of grade points earned by all quality hours.

Grade Point Average (GPA) – a measure of a student's performance. The quality of a student's coursework is indicated by a session GPA. The quality of work through one or more   semesters is indicated by a cumulative GPA which includes all Judson courses. A summary GPA includes all transfer work as well as Judson work.

Sess – current Judson University session
Cum – cumulative Judson University sessions
Sum – cumulative Judson University and transfer course sessions

    A semester GPA is calculated by:
    1. Multiplying the number of grade points equivalent to the letter grade by the number of semester hours for that course.
    2. Adding the semester hours of all courses with grades from A through F, WF and AWF.
    3. Adding the grade points received in all courses during the semester.
    4. Dividing the total number of grade points by the total number of semester hours.

    Refer to the example below to calculate the semester GPA. ESS 101 is excluded because the grade is W and BST 221 is excluded because the grade is P. Divide the 37 grade points by 15 semester hours for a semester GPA of 2.46.The cumulative GPA is determined by the same process using all A through F, WF, and AWF grades received in all courses taken at Judson University. In the example, MAT 081 is excluded because the course is below 100 level. After excluding MAT 081, 12 semester hours and 28 grade points remain. To calculate the cumulative GPA, divide the 28 grade points by 12 semester hours for a cumulative GPA of 2.33.



     X Semester
    ESS101WNAX =NA

     *A grade of "P" in a course at the 100 level and above would be included in a credit hour count of completed courses but not in GPA calculations.

    Repeating a course

    Students may repeat a course in which they received a grade lower than C. The attempt with the highest grade will be used to compute the cumulative GPA and apply to semester hours earned for graduation. The course with the lower grade will no longer calculate in the cumulative GPA, but will not be removed from the student's record.

    Grade of Incomplete

    Incomplete grades will be issued only for extenuating circumstances. All incompletes must meet three criteria:

    1. The student must have completed at least 75% of the course work
    2. There must be an unusual problem that kept the student from completing the work
    3. The student may not be a graduating senior.A student may petition the instructor for a grade of incomplete if they meet the above criteria. The student is responsible for completing the Incomplete Request Form, securing the necessary signatures and documentation, and submitting it to the instructor. The maximum allowable time in which to finish an incomplete is by the end of the sixth week after the course's original end date. The day after the designated due date, the registrar's office will issue a grade of "F" if the grade has not been submitted.


    Grade Grievance

    Any student has the right to appeal a questioned grade to the course instructor in writing, if the student believes the instructor has miscalculated the grade, or has not given reasonable and timely assessment of the student's course assignments. The appeal process must conclude within six weeks of the start of the appeal. Grade changes submitted after the six-week deadline will not be processed.

    A procedure has been established for resolving those occasions when a student actively disagrees with the grade received in a course.

    • No later than two weeks after the student's receipt of the grade report listing the questioned grade, the student must confer with the instructor. If a grade inaccuracy is determined, the instructor will process a grade-change request. Grade changes must be submitted within four weeks of the start of the appeal.
    • If agreement cannot be reached, the student may appeal to the division chair in writing. If the division chair can mediate an agreement between the student and instructor, a grade-change request may be processed. If no agreement can be reached, or if the instructor is also the division chair, the next step is applicable.
    • The student may appeal the decision to the Provost in writing. The Provost shall investigate and render a decision. A decision by the Provost either to change the grade or leave it as it is, will be considered final.
    • Approved by the Provost.


    Verification of attendance for students receiving financial aid will be sent on request to agencies supplying that aid. Student verification letters are available on the student's web page. You may also contact the Registrar's Office at ext. 1160.

    Pass/No Credit Option (P/NC)

    To encourage students to diversify their enrollments, the University has established a pass/no credit elective option which can be exercised according to the following guidelines:

    1. To receive a "P" grade, students must have performed at least at the level of "C" (2.00) or above.
    2. Students may exercise this option for a limited number of elective credits applied toward the bachelor's degree, according to their classification at entrance to Judson: Freshman - 12 credits Sophomore - 9 credits Junior - 6 credits Senior - 6 credits
    3. No more than one P/NC course may be taken per term.
    4. This option cannot be used for required courses in the major or minor (except those taught only P/NC).
    5. This option cannot be used for general education requirements.
    6. For students transferring to Judson, "Pass" credits will not be accepted for major, minor or general education requirements. It is not applicable to CLEP and AP exam scores.
    7. The Pass/No Credit approval form must be on file in the Registrar's Office by the end of the first week of classes of the semester the student wishes to exercise the P/NC option.

    Registrar Office Staff

    Virginia L. Guth
    Associate Vice President for Student Success/University Registrar

    Maria L. Aguirre
    Assistant to the Registrar
    Graduate Programs
    Study Abroad Programs


    Heather Johnson
    Assistant Registrar
    Adult Programs

    Susan J. Kunze
    Assistant to the Registrar
    Traditional Programs

    Kirsten Olson
    Student Records
    Transcript Ordering
    Enrollment Verifications

    Jill A. Hargis
    Graduation Auditor

    Judson University, Shaping Lives that Shape the World