Division of Professional Studies Undergrad Catalog - Academic Policy - Alternative Course Work | Judson University Christian College

Alternative Course Work

ACE-Evaluated, Professional Courses, and Continuing Education Units


To receive credit for military experience, students must submit a copy of their DD214 military form and an official transcript from the branch in which the student served. Upon evaluation, credit may be awarded based on the listed military occupational specialty ratings and any specified courses, which have been evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE). Judson University uses The Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces to determine credit awarded for military experience. A maximum of 30 credit hours of military coursework may apply to degree requirements. All military coursework will count only toward elective hours.

Professional Courses

To receive credit for professional courses that have been evaluated by American Council on Education (ACE), students must request to have ACE send their official transcript directly to the Enrollment Specialist during the application process. To determine the amount of credit awarded, Judson University uses the ACE recommendations provided on the official transcript. ACE recommended courses will count only toward elective hours.

Continuing Education Units (CEU)

CEU credit is not accepted toward degree requirements and will not be recorded on a student's academic record at Judson University.

Alternative Credit Options

Judson University welcomes student of all ages. Many students bring a depth of knowledge in specific subjects that may have been acquired experientially. Students who have been accepted as Judson University students may be able to convert this learning into university credit on the basis of satisfactory performance on proficiency examinations. Judson University awards credit for AP, CLEP and DSST testing based on The American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations.

Advanced Placement Tests (AP)

The Advanced Placement (AP) Program is a cooperative educational endeavor of secondary schools, Universities, and the University Board. It consists of 29 university-level courses and examinations in 16 academic disciplines. The examinations in most subjects cover the equivalent of a full-year university course. Judson University awards at least three credit hours for a score of three and at least six credit hours for a score of four or higher on tests of the one-year courses. Some of the examinations cover the equivalent of a half-year course; three credit hours are awarded for a score of three or higher on these. A table listing Judson University courses awarded for satisfactory scores on AP examinations is available in the Registrar's Office. Students should request that AP test scores be sent to the Registrar's Office. Advanced Placement Chart.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

For more information on this computer based testing or to have an official score report sent, please visit http://clep.collegeboard.org. or call 1-609-771-7865.

DSST Subject Standardized Tests (DSST)

For more information on this computer based testing or to have an official score report sent, please visit www.getcollegecredit.com. or call 1-877-470-9860.

Students who wish to receive credit for CLEP/DSST testing must request official score reports be sent to the Office of Registration and Records.

Students who intend to take CLEP and DSST tests must check with their academic advisor before registering for tests to ensure that the tests will not duplicate previous coursework.  A student needs to be accepted and admitted to Judson in order to sign up and take a test.  Testing needs to be done one year prior to the student's graduation month.  Once a student has started their major program, the following CLEP/DSST tests cannot be taken for credit by corresponding majors.

Applied Psychology
  • DSST Organizational Behavior
  • DSST Lifespan Developmental Psychology
  • CLEP Introductory to Psychology
  • CLEP Introductory Sociology
Human Services
  • DSST Fundamentals of Counseling
  • DSST Lifespan Developmental Psychology
  • CLEP Human Growth and Development
  • CLEP Introduction to Sociology
  • CLEP Social Sciences and History
Management and Leadership
  • DSST Introduction to Business
  • DSST Management Information Systems
  • DSST Organizational Behavior
  • DSST Principles of Supervision
  • DSST Principles of Finance
  • DSST Principles of Financial Accounting
  • CLEP Principles of Accounting
  • CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
  • CLEP Principles of Marketing
  • CLEP Principles of Management

For information regarding whether CLEP or DSST tests will meet general education requirements, general education equivalency forms for CLEP and DSST are available through the Student Success Center in MYJUDSON. 

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)

Students can earn university credit for life's learning experiences. Prior learning assessment through portfolio writing provides recognition for prior learning acquired either formally within an institution or through a wide variety of life and work experiences, such as career involvement, personal study and community work. Students can go onto the CAEL website for additional information at http://www.learningcounts.org/.

Transfer Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)

Students who have completed credits equivalent to Judson's prior learning assessment criteria before their matriculation date have the opportunity to submit their PLA coursework through CAEL at http://www.learningcounts.org/.

Police Prior Learning Assessment (Police PLA)

Students who have completed police training are eligible to receive PLA credit for their documented training. Students must submit all current, official police training transcripts at the time of application to the university. Students who receive additional police training while enrolled at Judson University must complete the Application for Advanced Approval of Transferred Course(s) prior to beginning training and provide official transcripts immediately upon completion. Police PLA credit awarded will count toward elective hours and cannot be counted towards the requirements for the major.

Challenge Exams

Departmental Challenge Exams have been developed by Judson University faculty for some courses. Students are encouraged to discuss the options that are available with their academic advisor and the appropriate division chair.

Alternative Credit Limit

No more than 30 hours of military credit, no more than 30 credit hours of prior learning assessment, and no more than 30 credit hours of credit by examination (CLEP/DSST/Challenge/SAM/AP) may apply toward degree requirements. Alternative credit is credit earned on a pass/fail grading system; therefore, they are not calculated into the student's GPA. To view charges associated with Alternative Credit Options, please view the Finances section of the Adult Undergraduate catalog.

Special Course Arrangements


Students may enroll in classes on a non-credit basis at a reduced tuition (audit) rate. Students auditing a course generally attend lectures but are not required to submit coursework or take exams. Audited courses will be recorded on the student transcript with a grade of AU and zero credit hours earned. Therefore, courses that students wish to take as an audit will not meet a major course requirement from the student's program. Students who wish to take a class as audit must make a note on their add/drop form before submitting their paperwork to the Office of Registration and Records.

AU Program Make-Up course

Students who need to complete or retake a program course, for whatever reason, must take the course the next time it is offered within another program and can be fit into the student's schedule. This must be done within six months of dropping or completing the course. If there are scheduling problems, then the student must take the course the next time it is offered. Generally, students will take the course at the most convenient location, but they may travel to an alternate location if they choose. In any event, students must complete the course before the deadline for graduation.

It is recognized that there may be unusual circumstances that make it impossible for a student to complete or retake a required course according to the above guidelines. When a scheduling problem or curriculum revision makes it impossible for a student to follow the above policy, the student may be advised to request permission to take or retake the required course in an alternative format, i.e., a specially scheduled course. A specially scheduled program make-up course request will not be granted if the course is being offered within the next six months, but may be granted if this is a required program course and the course can not be complete 1) prior to the student's program ending date or 2) prior to the student's graduation deadline.

In the rare occasion that a student requests to do an AU program make-up course, the student must meet with their academic advisor to complete the proper paperwork. Paperwork will require the signature of the academic advisor, student, program director, instructor, and the senior dean. In signing on this form, the academic advisor is stating that the specially arranged course is the only way the student can complete graduation requirements.

Please check the Finances section of the Adult Undergraduate catalog for fees associated with the AU program make-up courses.

Judson University, Shaping Lives that Shape the World