Division of Professional Studies Undergrad Catalog - Academic Policy - Alternative Course Work | Judson University Christian College

Alternative Credit and Special Course Arrangements

Judson University welcomes students of all ages. Many students bring a depth of knowledge in specific subjects that may have been acquired experientially. Students who have been accepted as Judson University students may convert this learning into University credit on the basis of satisfactory performance on proficiency examinations.

No more than 30 hours of military credit, no more than 30 credit hours of prior learning assessment, and no more than 30 credit hours of credit by examination (CLEP/DSST/Challenge/SAM/AP) may apply toward degree requirements. Alternative credit is credit earned on a pass/fail grading system; therefore, they are not calculated into the student's GPA. To view charges associated with Alternative Credit Options, please view the Finances section of the Adult Undergraduate catalog.

Alternative Credit

Advanced Placement Tests (AP)

The Advanced Placement (AP) Program is a cooperative educational endeavor of secondary schools, Universities, and the University Board. It consists of 29 university-level courses and examinations in 16 academic disciplines. The examinations in most subjects cover the equivalent of a full-year university course. Judson University awards at least three credit hours for a score of three and at least six credit hours for a score of four or higher on tests of the one-year courses. Some of the examinations cover the equivalent of a half-year course; three credit hours are awarded for a score of three or higher on these. A table listing Judson University courses awarded for satisfactory scores on AP examinations is available in the Registrar's Office. Students should request that AP test scores be sent to the Registrar's Office. Advanced Placement Chart.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Judson University grants credit for satisfactory scores on College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests in accordance with American Council on Education's (ACE) recommendation for acceptable score and award of credit hours. A table listing Judson University courses awarded for satisfactory scores on CLEP examinations is available in the Registrar's Office. Students who have previously completed CLEP tests should request that the test scores be sent to the Registrar's Office. Students who are considering a CLEP test should consult with their advisor and the Registrar's Office to ensure the credit would apply to their academic program. Credits that are earned through CLEP are pass/fail and will not be calculated into the student’s GPA. CLEP approval forms are located on the Student Info tab in MyJudson. CLEP Equivalency Chart - Non-Traditional

DSST Subject Standardized Tests (DSST)

For more information on this computer based testing or to have an official score report sent, please visit www.getcollegecredit.com or call 1-877-470-9860. Students who wish to receive credit for DSST testing must request official score reports be sent to the Office of Registration and Records. Students who intend to take DSST tests must check with their academic advisor before registering for tests to ensure that the tests will not duplicate previous coursework. A student needs to be accepted and admitted to Judson in order to sign up and take a test. Testing needs to be done one year prior to the student's graduation month. DSST approval forms are located on the Student Info tab in MyJudson. For information regarding whether CLEP or DSST tests will meet general education requirements, general education equivalency forms for CLEP and DSST are available through the Student Success Center in MyJudson.  DSST Equivalency Chart

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)

Students can earn university credit for life's learning experiences. Prior learning assessment through portfolio writing provides recognition for prior learning acquired either formally within an institution or through a wide variety of life and work experiences, such as career involvement, personal study and community work. Students can go onto the CAEL website for additional information at http://www.learningcounts.org/.

Transfer Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)

Students who have completed credits equivalent to Judson's prior learning assessment criteria before their matriculation date have the opportunity to submit their PLA coursework through CAEL at http://www.learningcounts.org/.

Police Prior Learning Assessment (Police PLA)

Students who have completed police training are eligible to receive PLA credit for their documented training. Students must submit all current, official police training transcripts at the time of application to the university. Students who receive additional police training while enrolled at Judson University must complete the Application for Advanced Approval of Transferred Course(s) prior to beginning training and provide official transcripts immediately upon completion. Police PLA credit awarded will count toward elective hours and cannot be counted towards the requirements for the major.


To receive credit for military experience, students must submit a copy of their DD214 military form and an official transcript from the branch in which the student served. Upon evaluation, credit may be awarded based on the listed military occupational specialty ratings and any specified courses, which have been evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE). Judson University uses The Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces to determine credit awarded for military experience. A maximum of 30 credit hours of military coursework may apply to degree requirements. All military coursework will count only toward elective hours.

Challenge Exams

Challenge Exams have been developed by Judson University faculty for some courses. Students should discuss challenge exam options with the appropriate department/division chair.

Continuing Education Units (CEU)

CEU credit is not accepted toward degree requirements and will not be recorded on a student's academic record at Judson University.


Students are permitted to audit courses without credit or grade contingent upon permission of the course instructor and the Registrar. Students auditing a course generally attend lectures but are not required to submit coursework or take exams. Audited courses will be recorded on student transcripts with a grade of AU and zero credit hours earned. Students that do not attend at least 60% of the classes will receive a “W” for the course. To change a course from credit to audit, or from audit to credit, students must complete and submit to the Registrar's Office the audit request forms by the Friday of the first week of each semester. Audited courses do not count towards graduation or full-time status. The audit tuition rate will be charged if the audited course creates an overload (over 18 hours) or if the student is at part-time status.

Special Course Arrangements

A maximum of ten hours of "Special Courses Arrangements" may be applied to degree requirements. A fee will be charged to the student's account in addition to tuition for each special course (see current catalog). A Petition for Special Course Arrangements must be completed and signed by the student, the sponsoring professor, the advisor, the Department/Division Chair(s) of the course and the major, and the Associate Provost of Academic Curriculum. The completed petition must be submitted to the Registrar's Office at least one semester prior to the semester the course will be taken. The Petition for Special Course Arrangements is available on MyJudson, or can be picked up in the Registrar's Office. Special Course Arrangements include the following

  • Individualized Study of a Regular Course of Offering (same course code as regular course):
    • The sponsoring professor and the student must determine how the course objectives will be attained.
    • The sponsoring professor, the advisor and the student are to give rationale on this petition as to why this course must be taught on an individual basis. The advisor must explain why the requirement cannot be met by a course substitution or a reading.
  • Independent Study (course number 486):
    • A minimum major GPA of 3.0 when applying and 75 semester hours must be earned before the term of the independent study.
    • The subject may not duplicate a regularly offered course.
    • The student must invest a minimum of 45 hours of work for each credit hour approved.
    • The student must attach a typewritten statement to this petition which includes:
      • A title, credit hours, the purpose and scope of the project and a statement of background in the project area.
      • A description of how the study will be conducted.
      • A description of the final product, what it will be and how extensive (regardless of the nature of the project, a paper is usually on component of the final product).
      • A bibliography.

Judson University, Shaping Lives that Shape the World