Dr. Jeremy Butler teaches courses within the Health Promotion and Performance major. Prior to joining the faculty at Judson, he worked as a police officer, where he also served as the use of force instructor for his department.
His research interests include using a social cognitive framework to evaluate how physical training, specifically in martial arts and police defensive tactics, impacts performance and behavior.
He has a passion for applying his martial arts experience in various areas of his life including as a form of ministry, community development, and advocating for police training reform. For more information on applications of his research and experience with law enforcement and civilian populations, visit www.jeremybutlerphd.com.
- Ph.D. Kinesiology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- M.S. Recreation Administration, Illinois State University
- B.S. Kinesiology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Psychology of Physical Training; Social Cognitive Theory; Police Defensive Tactics; Fitness; Head Instructor: Pagoda Rebirth Martial Arts & Fitness
- Butler, J.M. (2020). Do campus police have unique training needs in use of force? Campus Law Enforcement Journal.
- Butler, J.M. & Petruzzello, S. (2019). Are officers getting enough physical training for non-lethal force? A police perceptions study. Campus Law Enforcement Journal.
- Butler, J.M. (March, 2020). A multi-method investigation of police defensive tactics training using a social cognitive framework. Presented at the University of Illinois Community of Scholars Research Symposium. Urbana, IL
- Butler, J.M. (April, 2019). The science behind the shield: A case for departmental non-lethal force training. Presented at Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police Conference. Oakbrook, IL
- Butler, J.M. (May, 2017). Verbal defense and influence: Conflict management for contact professionals. Presented at the Illinois State University Student Affairs Conference. Normal, IL
- American Council on Exercise
- American College of Sports Medicine
Midwest United Martial Arts Association