Would you like to develop your skills, deepen your ideas, and sharpen your creative edge?
We offer one of the most comprehensive design programs among small private colleges and universities. Our 79-credit hour BFA program in Graphic Design that will prepare you for professional practice, graduate study, and other career options in the graphic design. In this program, you will develop a personal body of work that develops from initial research to final prototype over the course of two semesters.
We offer the same professional, comprehensive studio art program you would expect to find in a large public university in a small, Christian environment.
Why Graphic Design at Judson?
Our scenic riverside campus makes a beautiful home, and the museums, galleries, and design studios of Chicago B within easy reach.
Tools & Resources
You will benefit from access to:
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Studios for drawing, painting and ceramics
- Photography studio with a green screen and dark room
- Digital labs with laser, large-format, and risograph printers
- Use of laser cutters and 3D printers
- Printmaking and Letterpress studios
- Individual studio spaces for upper-level students
A Wide Network
Students can join the on-campus chapter of the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA). Art & Design alumni stay connected to mentor current students.
Art & Design Department
Learn more about the other programs offered in the Art & Design Department.
World Class Facilities
All Art & Design courses are taught in the 88,000 square foot, LEED Gold Certified Harm A. Weber Academic Center. You will have access to drawing, painting, and ceramics studios, individual studio spaces and much more. As one of the most energy-efficient buildings of its kind in North America, the Weber Center sets a lofty bar for environmental stewardship.
Follow Art & Design
Get Real World Experience
The Graphic Design program requires an internship during your senior year. Judson students have interned at places like:
- OX Creative | Elgin, IL
- Rule29 | Geneva, IL
- Quad Graphics | Monroe, WI
- Chermayeff & Geismar & Haviv | New York, NY
- Chicago Symphony Orchestra | Chicago, IL
- HofmanDujardin | Amsterdam, Netherlands
What Can You Do with a Graphic Design Degree?
Judson graduates from the Studio Art program have gone on to be:
- Graphic Designers
- Web Designer
- User Interaction Designers
- Creative Directors
- Design Firm Principals
- University Professors
Graphic Design grads often also pursue graduate school, including:
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Savannah College of Art and Design
- California State University
The Draewell Gallery
Our on campus not-for-profit gallery exhibits local and national artists with the goals of fostering an appreciation for the arts on campus through visual engagement and the creation of public dialogue regarding issues important to Judson’s core mission.
Each spring, seniors in our art, design, and architecture programs present their final projects in a professional gallery setting.
Founded by Alumni
Check out these companies created and run by Judson A&D alumni!
- DPK Creative | Elgin, IL
- Elevate Entertainment | Elgin, IL
- Unearth and Empower Communities | Compton, CA
- Paper Tower: Branding, Design and Technology | MI, IL, & WI