The Worship Arts major is an interdisciplinary program of the Demoss Center for Worship in the Performing Arts designed to equip graduates to serve ministries as worship developers, coordinators, and/or facilitators.
Experience a unique blend of theory and practice, including more worship-specific classes than found in any other undergraduate curriculum in the country. At Judson, you will study the biblical, historical, and theological foundations of worship, laying a solid foundation that prepares them to serve churches of all shapes and sizes.
Why Worship Arts at Judson?
Experience the rich diversity of the Body of Christ found in churches and worship settings in and around Chicago. Our program features a unique blend of theory and practice, consisting of:
- A core foundation in music, communication arts, and Bible teachings
- Internships and chapel ministry team experience
- Faculty who actively serve and involve students in local churches
- Teaching the interrelationship of music, media, and technology in supporting the worship experience
- More worship-specific classes than any other undergraduate curriculum in the country
Worship Arts Department
Learn more about the other programs offered in the Worship Arts Department.
Our program is designed to prepare and enable student to:
- Lead and produce worship services
- Demonstrate proficiency in speech and writing
- Integrate basic Christian doctrine, worship theology and history within a church setting
- Develop a sensitivity to the needs of a congregation
Follow the Worship Arts Department
Professor and Chair of the Worship Arts Department
Students have used our proximity to Chicago as well as Judson’s network of connections to pursue internships and practicums for many churches, including:
- Calvary Baptist Church | Elgin, IL
- Eastbrook Church | Milwaukee, WI
- First Christian Church | Chicago, IL
- Risen Church | San Diego, CA
- City Church | South Bend, IN
- The Vineyard | St. Charles, IL
- Resonate Church | Janesville, WI
Access to the Dark Room Studios
The availability of our Dark Room Studios with the other DCWPA majors gives our students a rounded array of opportunities, better than those found in most other schools. Regular recording projects recorded at our Dark Room Studios involve both current students and alumni.
Through Judson University’s Demoss Center for Worship in the Performing Arts (DCWPA), you can earn a music, worship arts, or communication arts degree that will prepare you with the skills and give you the experience necessary to share your God-given gifts and succeed in your future career.
Whether you want to share your talents in worship celebrations, onstage in a professional concert hall, on the road with your band, in the recording studio, or through any number of communications media, the DCWPA equips you to play, sing, create, speak and lead as never before.
Judson band “Mass Anthem” was rated a Top 5 recording for Christian colleges and universities by Worship Leader magazine in 2014 for their album Alive. Mass Anthem began on the JU campus, comprised of three Worship Arts students at the time.
A long-standing tradition at Judson, Upper Room provides students with a midweek escape from schoolwork and an environment that encourages them to surrender their struggles and lift their hearts up to Christ through prayer, praise, and worship in community with others.
Every Tuesday night at 9:45 p.m. the lights are turned down low in Herrick Chapel and many students gather for an hour of worship led by their peers.