Fox Valley Music Camp
The Gift of Music
Monday, June 22 - Friday, June 26, 2015
Established in 2006, The Fox Valley Music Camp at Judson University offers an enriching, fun-filled week of music-making for students in grades Kindergarten through High School.
Young students (K-2nd grade) come for a half-day camp and focus on music basics, play fun games, make crafts and sing songs. They enjoy performing on the stage in a group recital at the end of the week.
Elementary aged students (3rd-5th grades) explore music fundamentals, learn to play simple instruments like chimes and recorders and have the option to take private lessons if they are already studying an instrument. Campers prepare for a recital at the end of the week.
Older students (6th-12th grades) have 2 private lessons on their instrument of choice (or voice), participate in small ensembles and explore music theory/composition and history. Students elect either a Classical or Contemporary Worship Track. An IMEA Audition Prep program is available for all instrumentalists (9th -12th grades) intending to audition in the fall of 2015. A recital caps the week.
Faculty and guest artist mini-concerts conclude each day, to which camper families are invited.
Entering kindergarten - 2nd grade half day camp
9:00 a.m. - Noon
Younger students will focus on having fun with music – from playing in a rhythm ensemble to making crafts, playing musical games and singing together in a choir that will perform for family and friends at the end of the week.
Camp Cost: $125
Entering 3rd - 5th grade full day camp
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
This age group will have a time of experimentation and discovery as they explore various instruments at an instrument "petting zoo." Students will sing in a choir, play in a chime ensemble and be introduced to the recorder. Optional private lessons are also available for students studying an instrument (additional $50 for two 30-minute private lessons). A recital will conclude the week.
Camp Cost: $225 including lunch ($275 if private lessons elected)
Entering 6th - 12th grade full day camp
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Older students will develop skill on their chosen instruments through two 30-minute private lessons and ensemble work - with time to make some friends along the way! Students will elect either the Classical Track or the Contemporary Worship Track.
- Classical Track
For students in grades 6-12 interested in pursuing a traditional band/orchestra instrument, piano or voice. Also for IMEA Audition Prep* students. Choice of music theory/composition or song-writing. An exciting percussion-based development program called "Rhythm for Life" will be offered.
*IMEA Audition Prep
Includes mock auditions and preparation of audition material through both ensemble rehearsals and instrument-specific assistance in sectionals. This program is open to 9th - 12th grade musicians (any instrument) who intend to audition for District and All-State Competitions in the fall of 2015.
- Contemporary Worship Track
For students in grades 6-12 interested in forming a worship band with instruction in electric or acoustic guitar, electric keyboard or piano, vocals and drums. Song-writing and an opportunity to use the Recording Studio will be offered, as well as a fun percussion-based development program called "Rhythm for Life."
Camp Cost: $275 (including lunch and two private lessons)
Early Bird Discount: Friday, May 22, 2015
Registrations must be received by Friday, May 22, 2015 to receive the Early Bird Discount of $20 per camper.
Final Deadline: Friday, June 12, 2015
(We're sorry, but we are unable to accept registrations received after Friday, June 12.)
Questions? Please e-mail Cheryl Richardson at Cheryl.Richardson@judsonu.edu or call (847) 628-1110.
What campers and parents have said…
- "I found the FVMC to be such a learning and fulfilling experience for my son. For the first time, he experienced what it's like to play in varied ensembles with other passionate music students. It brought all of his school band experience to another level. He will definitely be back next year! I also really enjoyed the daily afternoon faculty presentations and the end-of-the-week Student Recital. Your staff's love of music was so evident, and a blessing to all."
-Parent of a 13 year old Camper
- "Attending the Judson University Music Camp exposed me to many musical experiences that I thoroughly enjoyed. I loved playing my instrument in the orchestra, playing in an ensemble, and composing music. One of the best parts of the camp was enjoying the end of day mini-concert by the music instructors. They were so talented that they inspired me to practice hard so that I will be able to play flawlessly and beautifully like they do one day."
-15 year old Camper
- "I wasn't real happy when my parents informed me that I would have to spend one week of my summer vacation at Judson University for a music camp. I'm glad I didn't make any sort of a stink with mom and dad because I really enjoyed the camp and want to go again next year."
-11 year old Camper
- "I liked learning about all the kinds of music and learning songs."
-7 year old Camper